View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2021, 11:02am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...xpL8QOUg%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is a player control foul.

In this play, The defender is in the path of the ball handler, has both feet on the floor with the front of her torso facing the opponent when contact ensues on the defender's torso. By rule, the defender obtained a legal guarding position. (4-23-2) The Lead official has a very good angle to view the contact and properly rules this contact as a player control foul. (4-19-6)

The Lead does improperly uses the team control foul signal at the site of the foul. The proper signal would be the player control foul signal. (IAABO Manual p. 239)

Many respondents considered this a blocking foul because the defender moved forward just before contact. This would be correct if the defender were still moving forward when the contact occurred. In slow motion, it shows a better view of the defender moving forward to a “new spot” on the floor, then stopping before the contact occurs on her torso. Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. (4-23-1) Since the defender got to the spot first and her opponent had the ball, the defender did not need to give the ball handler time and distance to avoid the contact. (4-23-4a)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a player control foul 82% (including me). This is a blocking foul 18%. No foul (play on) 0%.

Billy:

I am shocked the 18% of our fellow IAABO brothers and sisters got this incorrect. Especially since I helped the late Ed Ferrigno give block/charge seminars at IAABO Annual Meetings as well watched the late Edgar Cartotto and the late Danny Doss give block/charge seminars at IAABO Annual Meetings and Camps where I was a staffer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Apr 07, 2021 at 01:35pm. Reason: I am so ashamed that I misspelled Edgar's last name.