Thread: Interpretations
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 02, 2021, 10:43am
Do not give a damn!!

This can be a little complicated. I think it depends on the interpretation and where it comes from. Many times if the NF has not put out an interpretation then if you contact them, they will ask for you to go to your local association and then they will provide you with their interpretation that might hold more water where you live.

I am of the feeling that when things change the NF should update either those interpretations or put them in the book. Sometimes other rules change the scenario or the possible interpretation, so there is often not an update of those interpretations that are in conflict with the newer rules or changes.

I also do feel like something needs to find there way in the books if you want the lesson confused. For example, the contact above the shoulders was just left out there for years and no such clarification has ever been stated that all contact or some contact would be considered an intentional foul. Even this year there was a POE on intentional fouls and nothing was stated about situations where contact above the shoulders was to be considered. So what it leads to are people referencing an 8 or 9-year-old interpretation but not getting any clarification on how or if it still applies. And for officials that are newer coming to the game, they are not likely aware of any such standard to consider plays above the shoulders as an intentional foul any more than they did previously.

It would be nice to get things they considered that are updated in the current literature or do a better job providing references to this information. Honestly, I have no idea where we would find the interpretations posted on this site anywhere else. It just would limit the confusion if the NF put more information out or at the very least posted it somewhere on their website.

Peace