Thread: Interpretations
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 02, 2021, 10:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Interpretations Never Die ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I know of no basis for stating that (annual) interpretations issued during the season by the NFHS are not valid if they don’t eventually appear in the NFHS case book. I am of the opinion that all NFHS interpretations are valid until explicitly repudiated or overturned by a more recent interpretation or rule change.
Agree with Nevadaref (the Interpretation King) 100% and will add that I also believe that his philosophy also applies to casebook interpretations that for reasons other than rule changes, or interpretation changes, are dropped (see player on the floor) from the casebook (maybe due to page limitations, or an editorial inadvertent oversight); as well as old Points of Emphasis in old rulebooks (see contact above the shoulders).

Some esteemed Forum members will logically argue that "everything valid" should (must) be in the current NFHS Rulebook and/or NFHS Casebook, and if not, old interpretations, and old Points of Emphasis, not in the current NFHS Rulebook and/or NFHS Casebook should (must) be ignored. Such esteemed Forum members often cite the inability of new, or inexperienced, officials to know such if it's not "in the current book". Certainly a valid point that I do not happen to agree with, and I put the blame for this (making it difficult for trainers to train) on the stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 02, 2021 at 12:27pm.