View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2021, 09:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good, Better, Best ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For those who don’t officiate at the NCAA level, I would think that the best reason to be aware of recent NCAA rule changes is that the NFHS often follows suit.
Disagree. The best reason is this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Being aware of NFHS/NCAA rule differences can help in a debate with a confused and bewildered high school coach that doesn't know NFHS/NCAA rule differences.
Whether it's backcourt, goaltending, technical foul penalties, free thrower injured, etc., awareness of these differences allows officials to see where coaches are "coming from" and to quickly deescalate debates, preventing them from becoming arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"Coach that is the NCAA rule ... not the rule at our level."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
... like to have it in my bag of replies when a coach complains because he saw it on TV. "Well, it happened in the State U. game the other night." "Coach, their rule book allows for that exception. NFHS does not."
Also, one never knows when one will have a partner who's rules knowledge is mostly based on what he sees on television, or based on his mostly college schedule, and one should be prepared to "cut him off at the pass".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For those who don’t officiate at the NCAA level, I would think that the best reason to be aware of recent NCAA rule changes is that the NFHS often follows suit.
If the NFHS decides to switch to an existing NCAA rule, I can wait until the switch is actually made, no need (other than what I stated above) to "see it coming down the pike". When it gets in my high school games, it gets in my high school games. No real need to "jump the gun". Without a "head start", I can easily learn a new rule in the months between April and December.

Bottom line, for many reasons, high school basketball officials should, at least, be somewhat aware of NFHS/NCAA rule differences. No need to memorize the differences as would one who works both levels, but high school basketball officials should just be aware of some major differences.

Just be sure to not be confused by the differences. Now, where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 29, 2021 at 01:29pm.