View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Liver Pills, Apples, And Coffee ...

Thanks Camron Rust.

1. Stop the clock under a minute.
No. More chances for clock mistakes in important situations. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are timed by inexperienced adults, or students.

2. Shot clock (a) nationally or (b) by state adoption
I assume that either is an option, not mandatory. Many games below the varsity level are timed by inexperienced adults, or students. Connecticut already uses a shot clock for varsity prep school games and we always have problems.

3. Uniform color...dark must be dark
Odd change. Rules already state white for the home team and a contrasting dark color for the visiting team.

4 & 5. religious head covering regulations without needing state approval
Yes. Here in Connecticut we currently allow this and then subsequently suggest that the team get state approval after the game. No officials in Connecticut currently will not allow a player to participate because of religion unless there is a real safety issue.

6. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter
No. Doubles the chances for certain types of correctable errors. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are scored by inexperienced adults, or students; and many middle school scoreboards don't show team fouls.

7. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter (similar to #6 but different wording by different proponent)
No. Doubles the chances for certain types of correctable errors. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are scored by inexperienced adults, or students; and many middle school scoreboards don't show team fouls.

8. Bonus at 6th foul in a quarter, automatic bonus at 8th foul in a quarter

9. New definition of a simultaneous multiple foul...two fouls by same team against different opposing players
Probably needed, or they wouldn't consider it.

10. No jump ball in OT...continue AP.
Yes. The beginning of the end of the jump ball. Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. How do you like them apples?

11. Remove coaches ability to be granted a timeout during a live ball...must be by a player.
Yes. Saves a lot of problems where players are scrambling on the floor to get control of a ball, usually right before a probable held ball, where officials should be concentrating on the physicality of the players involved, not having to identify the voice of the head coach. One less thing officials have to worry about in these, and similar tense situations.

12. On a double foul where one foul is of a greater severity than the other, possession to team offended by greater foul.
No. Not needed. But I would be open to a discussion of "fairness".

13. Eliminate player control signal...use only team control signal
Yes. Here in my little corner of Connecticut we currently have more player control foul signals than Carter has Little Liver Pills.

And those are my opinions ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 26, 2021 at 12:08pm.