View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 25, 2021, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Small Sample, especially for BillyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Problem solved. Written warning.

May generate a few derogatory remarks by coaches and officiating colleagues, but it won't have a major impact on the long term future of one's basketball officiating career.

On the other hand, it may still be overkill. Never mind.
So here's an example of what this looks like:

Reminder: I haven't acted on this yet and have no plans on doing so independently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2h47...ature=youtu.be (video elapsed time: 2h, 47m, 15s)

Questions/concerns/advice from previous posts:

1) count down from 10 and hit the locker room. That's what I have done and currently do;
2) get branded “high maintenance” and “overly officious." Since I haven't acted on this to date, it'd have to be for other reason(s) that I might get branded this way;
3) are coaches from other teams complaining? I do not know; I've never asked them. They see this team anywhere from maybe 1-4 times or so each year; I see them at least 6, so it's a cumulative exposure over years for me seeing this;
4) call this in a two-point game? Nah, they only do this when their win is assured (lead at least >10 pts.);
5) local "culture"? No other local teams do this. And we aren't generally known for being innovators unless it's arctic-weather related; certainly not anything basketball-related. I'm surprised this end-of-game behavior doesn't occur elsewhere in the Lower 48 (if it does look familiar, kindly let me know). If they did this one when they were about to lose, I'd be able to drop it without hesitation straightaway;
6) I'm in the twilight of my career (too old for college ball), so moving up isn't going to happen and I also have a good relationship with my assignor, so neither is a concern of mine.

Two analogies that might be useful: this might have the look and feel of getting a speeding ticket for 36-in-a-35mph zone (and no, I have never given or received one of those). So, yes, overkill is a good word to describe it (thanks, BillyMac).

The other analogy is something akin to passengers unbuckling and standing up on an airplane while the aircraft is still moving along the taxiway and nowhere close to the gate. It does no good for the captain to stop the aircraft to address the standees, but it doesn't mean it isn't behavior that might need to be addressed *somehow*.

Since all y'all are unaffiliated with basketball where my board operates, this is a pretty good place to ask. For various reasons, I won't get the same nuggets of wisdom, anecdotes, and other stories if I only ask my local peers about this.