View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unsporting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'd rather just ignore the temporary not-unsporting removal of a jersey within the visual confines of the playing area for the purpose of removing an illegal undershirt to comply with a rule.
The technical foul is for an unsporting act. The NFHS defines removing the jersey to be an unsporting act. The NFHS lists it as being one of many examples of unsporting acts. So there's not much wiggle room, it is what it is.

By rule, I'm wrong, but I disagree that every instance of a player removing one's jersey is automatically an unsporting act. Being around basketball for over fifty years as a player, coach, and official, I know unsporting when I see it and some instances of players removing jerseys are not unsporting. A player temporarily removing a jersey to comply with a rule is not unsporting. It is unsporting by NFHS definition, but in the larger scheme of things regarding good sportsmanship, it isn't really unsporting. I believe that the NFHS has thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

10-4-6-H: A player must not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

10-5-1-H: Bench personnel, including the head coach, must not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 10:26am.