View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Happens Next ???

Note: Nevadaref's post sent me down this followup "break it down" research path. I'm surprised that the "King of Interpretations" didn't cite 2015-2016 NFHS Interpretations Situation 2 (even though it's incomplete)?

2015-2016 NFHS Interpretations Situation 2: After A1 releases the ball on a free throw try, B1 steps into the lane and backs across the free-throw line to box out the free-throw shooter then makes contact with the free-throw shooter. The free throw is missed. Ruling: The official should rule a delayed violation on the opponent. A1 will be awarded a substitute free throw and the contact is ruled a foul. The substitute free throw would be administered with the free-throw lane spaces unoccupied. (9-1-2g Penalty 2b)

So what happens next after the substitute free throw? What's the penalty for the illegal contact foul on a free thrower?

4-20-1: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicircle and behind the free-throw line.

4-41-2: A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket.

A free throw is not the same as a field goal. Fouling a free thrower must be a common foul.

4-19-2: A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Did you mean that Team B has 4 fouls in the half?
Is Team A in the bonus, or double bonus? If bonus, one and one. If double bonus, two free throws.

No bonus? Term A gets the ball on the endline on the lane line closest to the foul.

Of course, another line of thinking may be to go with an intentional foul (contact that neutralizes opponent’s obvious advantageous position). Simple straight forward penalty. Two free throws and the ball.

Common foul or intentional foul? What's a mother to do?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 05, 2021 at 12:38pm.