View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 28, 2021, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...af3PS1AzKL.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is a legal play.

There needs to be three things to occur for a backcourt violation to occur:
1) Team A has to have control of the ball in the frontcourt.
2) A Team A player last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt.
3) Team A player is the first to touch the ball in the backcourt after it has been in team control in the frontcourt. (9-9-1)

In this play, Green #10 saves the ball near the sideline in his backcourt and begins to dribble, establishing team control. He passes the ball to Green #22, who is standing on the division line (backcourt status) when the ball deflects off his hand. Green #3 is airborne from the backcourt (backcourt status) as he catches the ball and dribbles into the frontcourt.

Since the ball did not obtain frontcourt status before Green #3 caught the ball (with backcourt status), this is a legal play. Had Green #22 obtained frontcourt status when he deflected the ball, the subsequent catch by Green #3 with backcourt status would have caused a violation.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a legal play 83%; This is a backcourt violation 17% (including me).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)