View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 25, 2021, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
I wonder if everyone is overthinking this word 'or.' Or, ironically, if it is another case of a poorly worded rule...

What if it is intended to mean "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard so as to make the ring vibrate." In other words, making the ring vibrate was the intent of slapping the backboard. I honestly don't know how you can slap the backboard hard enough that you would consider a T, yet the ring wouldn't vibrate.

A player thinks "geez...I won't be able to actually touch the ball and block the shot, but if I hit the backboard with enough force that the ring vibrates, the ball may fall off and/or not go in....

I know that the debate has been had that it is very difficult to adjudicate a players intent, but just a thought. If this seems silly, someone please shut this line of thinking down very quickly!
I think the "or" is correct as is.

Simply slapping the backboard with no attempt to play the ball should be a T whether or not it causes the ring to vibrate. Some backboards are much more solidly attached than others.

Causing the ring to vibrate by other methods, in addition to slapping the backboard, would also be T worthy....such as slapping the ring itself (before the ball is there).