Thread: Free throw
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 03:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Antiques Roadshow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Time running out in game, player shots & scores but gets fouled in the process. Game clock shows 00:00, but horn has not sounded. Score now 50-50. Would players line up in blocks for the free throw or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Assuming the horn is not broken, and that "auto horn" is on, then there's still some time left. Line up the players.
I can't believe that there are any of these antique scoreboards still in service. I'm old enough to actually know, and to have actually used, the proper procedure in these situations with antique scoreboards.

Ask to scoreboard operator to turn on the automatic horn. If it sounds, it was turned off, time has already expired, and shoot the free throw with no rebounders.

If the horn doesn't sound when the scoreboard operator turns on the automatic horn, it was always turned on (and still is), time has not expired, and shoot the free throw with rebounders, keeping mind that there's less than 0.3 second remaining, so only a tap in would count on a rebound by the offense (only with clock that shows tenths of a second), and since the clock doesn't start until a legal touch, there is still plenty of time for live ball, stopped clock foul during rebounding action on missed shot, so don't you and your partner fall asleep figuring that game will be over with a made free throw and tied going into overtime with a missed free throw.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 21, 2021 at 04:03pm.