View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Mills
[B]Pete:

I came down clearly on the "call the balk" side of the line. The reason is simple. Among knowledgeable company, to ignore it will cause far more trouble than it will prevent.

Jim thanks for your reply, but it seems to me that Baseball should start changing as with the other sports.

I pointed out the interference penalty in football. At one time, if the defensive back interfered with the receiver, the penalty was always enforced until they changed it to say if in the judgement of the referee, the ball was uncatchable, then the interference penalty is ignored.

Baseball is one of the few sports whose rules haven't changed much throughout the years, perhaps it's time. Personally I can't see enforcing a penalty in which no advantage is gained. Your right in the language of the rule, but perhaps it's time to change things.

You brought up another excellent situations that IMO should also be changed, like a batter bailing out on a pitch aimed at his head - The batter shouldn't be penalyzed if the ball happens to strike his bat.

A baseball umpire should be aforded the luxory of determining whether or not an infraction has any baring on the play and therefore, should be able to rule accordingly.

The Technical Balk rules reminds me of the 20 second rule for pitchers - again a rule that is hardly if ever called, but IT IS A RULE. Certain rules NONE OF US call, yet this one seems to generate plenty of interest.

It seems to me that baseball is TOO TECHNICAL and the rules need to be revisted. The problem is OBR was written for Professional Athletes and therefore, much of these discussions are mute when dealing with the PRO Game, but IS RELEVANT in the Amateur game.

I have been watching the PRO Game for a long time and have NEVER seen a pitcher from the wind-up step back with Free Foot, so therefore, this rule will probably NEVER be changed. However, I have seen this many times in the Amateur Game.

Kevin Brown makes $14 million a year, therefore, he should know the Balk rules - I'm not so sure Little Johnny who is playing the game for Fun should be held to the same standards.

One thing I would bet on - World Series , Kevin Brown on the mound for LA, Jeter the winning run on third - Pandomonium in Dodger Stadium - Kevin in the windup (before starting his pitching motion) steps back - free foot first - umpires call balk - Game Over -

Next Year the Rule just got changed.

Pete Booth