View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 19, 2021, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Home Team Ground Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not about some gym you went to 30 years ago and what it looked like. SC's question was legitimate and had to do with a procedure.
Actually, I'm currently working in one of the gyms I mentioned, and two others are still used with the mentioned ground rules (I'm no longer accepting assignments from Catholic middle schools). SC Official's question was a great question, and if he's upset believing that I completely hijacked his thread, then I apologize.

My point was that basketball officials, at all levels, sometimes encounter odd situations (ground rules), pre-COVID, COVID, and, hopefully, post-COVID, that are not covered by rules, or mechanics, and we flexibly and successfully adjust based on purpose and intent (and in the case of COVID, safety).

To encourage us to be more flexible (safety first) as we encounter odd COVID situations, my local high school board (also assigns many middle schools) has shelved the otherwise strict requirement that we evaluate and rate partners this year, and observer ratings are also being shelved this year (mostly for safety reasons). Assignment status, varsity, or subvarsity, will be frozen this year and carry over into next year. Bad news for the young up and comers, but being young, they'll get over it. Young'uns always do.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 20, 2021 at 10:31am.