View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Want To A Fashion Police Officer Or A Circus Ringmaster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And my point is we do not need more changes to this rule.
So you like the fashion rules as they currently are? Not me. Too complex, and confusing for many players, coaches and a few officials. Many not needed (little or nothing to do with the game of basketball, or officiating the game of basketball).

And many officials are between a rock and a hard place. Enforce fashion rules and one may be considered overly officious and criticized by coaches ("John Smith didn't enforce this last week."), and possibly by partners (rolling eyes). Ignore them and one may be criticized by others (blaming widespread use of illegal equipment on the lack of enforcement by those that ignore), some of whom may be promotion observers. Lose. Lose.

Make the fashion rules short and sweet (simple and needed) making it easy for everybody to enforce them (and to want to enforce them).

We need simple equipment rules that make equipment safe and make it easy (not just possible, but easy) to identify players on each team during fast paced action.

Wouldn't you even consider this change? It's got to make things better than they currently are, because it can't get any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Ignore everything from the waist down (leg sleeves, knee pads, tights, compression shorts), just as we now ignore shorts, socks, and shoes.
No lights (Casebook 3.5 Situation B), or springs (or rockets) on shoes (equipment which is designed to increase a team member’s height or vertical reach or to gain a competitive advantage must not be permitted). Knee braces (unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design) must be safe. Completely ignore everything else from the waist down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

What unintended consequences (a usual NFHS modus operandi) am I missing here?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 16, 2021 at 04:54pm.