View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 15, 2021, 09:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Multiple Illegal Contacts …

What is correct ruling on this multiple contact situation? As the whistle is being blown to charge Black #3 with a handchecking foul, White #24 hits Black #3 above the shoulders with an elbow. Black #3 retaliates by pushing White #24 and batting the ball away.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...3ha1XCenJH.mp4

How should this activity be ruled?
A) Personal Foul on Black #3: Rule on the handchecking foul, separate players and assess no further penalty.
B) Double Personal Foul: Charge both Black #3 and White #24 with a personal foul as both fouls occurred at the same time. Ignore dead ball contact by Black #3.
C) Double Personal Foul: Charge Black #3 with a personal foul and White #24 with an intentional personal foul. Ignore dead ball contact by Black #3.
D) Double Personal Foul and a Technical Foul: Charge Black #3 with a personal foul and White #24 with an intentional personal foul that occurs at approximately the same time. Then charge Black #3 with an Intentional Technical foul for dead ball contact.
E) One Personal Foul and Two Technical Fouls: Charge Black #3 with personal foul

Five choices (don’t fully align with choices above): Personal Foul on Black #3; Double Personal Foul; One Personal Foul and One Double Technical Foul; Double Personal Foul and a Technical Foul; One Personal Foul and Two Technical Fouls.

My comment: One Personal Foul and Two Technical Fouls. Charge Black #3 with personal foul. Contact after the ball has become dead is incidental unless it is ruled intentional. An elbow in excessive movement should be an intentional foul (or possibly a flagrant foul).

Thoughts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 15, 2021 at 10:16am.