View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 13, 2021, 02:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO International Play Commentary ...

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...IgV9xHim3I.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: The throw-in should have taken place on the endline nearest to where the violation occurred.

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. (4-29, 9-4 note) As with any violation, when a kicking violation occurs, the official must place the ball at the disposal of an opponent of the player who committed the violation at a designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in nearest the violation: (7-5-2)

During a designated spot throw-in on the endline, the defender in the red jersey extends his right leg and block the throw-in pass out of bounds on the sideline. In this play, the fact that the ball when out-of-bounds over the sideline is irrelevant as the defender near the endline had already committed the kicking violation. Therefore, the correct ruling is a kicking violation on red and the ball to be awarded to the White team with a designated spot throw-in along the endline.

It should be noted; if this throw-in occurred after a goal or after a violation where points were awarded, the white team would have had the ability to move along the endline. In that case, a kicking violation would not cause the throw-in team to lose the ability to move along the endline on the ensuing throw-in. (Assuming the kicking violation occurs near the endline and the ensuing throw-in will be along the endline). (7-5-7b)

What if this was an Alternating-Possession throw-in? When a kicking violation occurs by the defensive team on an Alternating-Possession throw-in, the ball is awarded back to the throw-in team at a spot nearest where the violation occurred. Since the ensuing throw-in is a result of a violation, it is no longer an AP throw-in. Therefore, the throw-in team does not lose the AP arrow after the completion of the throw-in. (6-4-5).

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The throw-in should have taken place on the endline nearest to where the violation occurred 94% (including me); The throw-in is correctly administered on the sideline where the ball went out-of-bounds after the violation for kicking 6%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 13, 2021 at 02:33pm.