View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 11, 2021, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Notion of a "Slip Screen"

For the simple purpose of clarity, a "slip screen" is when the offensive player sets a screen and then as the dribbling team-mate approaches the screen, the screener prior to normal contact with the defender of the dribbler, quickly opens up/releases and rolls to the basket for a pass instead of remaining fixed on the spot where the screen was set. The hapless defender gets consequently "stuck" on the screener's back and cannot get around to guard the dribbler; this results in the reception of an easy short pass and a short distance 'try for goal' by said screener.
I considered this to be a clever legal offensive strategy. Well, one of my ref partners was trying to tell me that this was an illegal screen; I however disagreed and replied that this is a clever legal action and the onus is on the defense to countermand this stratagem--either by recognition for help defenders or the use of better footwork to maneuver around the "slip screen".
Have any of you observed the execution of such a described "slip screen" and adjudicated to the contrary? Jus curious, thanks.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Feb 11, 2021 at 01:24pm. Reason: spelling