View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll add to Nevada's response: NCAA specifically defines jumpstop; FED does not. The rule is the same in all codes, though.

Here's the NCAAM wording:
Section 22. Jump Stop
Art. 1. A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or
dribbling with:
a. One foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously
on both feet (no pivot foot).
b. Two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and
lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).
Art. 2. A jump stop may also be executed when the dribbler has one foot on the
playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the
playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established
as the pivot foot).
Grrr....after reading this it appears that I may have to alter my thinking and definition two types of jumpstops. I did find over the years that it was simpler to teach only one jumpstop (the off of one and land on two style) as it is unusual footwork and therefore sticks in the mind, plus the relevant restrictions follow naturally and are easily remembered. The relevant restriction is simply that the player cannot pivot after this type of jumpstop, which is natural because that is the trade off for the extra step used in executing the move. I’ve had several officiating students tell me that they had always found the jumpstop confusing, but now it made perfect sense to them after I taught it that manner. Oh well, change with the times! I guess I’ll now teach a type 1 jumpstop and a type 2. Or perhaps a type zero and a type 1 to reflect the number of feet which contact the floor prior to the simultaneous landing.