View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 02:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Foot Near The Lane Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think she steps well beyond 36" way from the lane line.
I'm not 100% fully convinced that this is the actual limiting rule. I'm not going to die on this hill, but I'm leaning toward the depth being limited by the player's stride, not the thirty six inches, based on what I can remember from discussion regarding the 2009-10 rule clarification.

While the lane space is absolutely thirty six inches wide and thirty six inches deep (as are the depths of jump ball circle spaces), if there was a thirty six inch depth limit for leaving (backing up) the space, why have the "one foot near the lane line" verbiage, just keep the player inside the four sided thirty six inch wide and thirty six inch deep infinitely tall box until the release.

In my opinion, the other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space refers to the width of the space, not the depth.

Anybody got any written notes regarding the 2009-10 rule clarification? I discarded mine, but I remember what was discussed, including the example of the seven footer with a stride longer than thirty six inches, an example very clear in my mind even eleven years later.

I can probably be easily convincing that I'm wrong in my interpretation. Like I said, I'm not going to die on this hill, and I would truly like to know the correct interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 06, 2021 at 02:45pm.