View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirty Six Inches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
9-1-3-G: A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by lane-space marks. A player must position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space until the ball has been released.

Interesting point. So you're saying that the "36 inches" (red above) in the rule defines the depth of the marked lane space. My first quick read thought that "36 inches" referred to the width of the space, but I now see another aspect to "36 inches".
I read it again, and also went back to the 2009-10 Rulebook when "one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line" was clarified (Rulebook was not helpful, and I don't have my written notes from that far back, but I do remember this being discussed).

I'm not fully convinced that "36 inches" limits a player from going back, but rather limits the player from moving sideways into an opponent's "protected" area (similar to a jump ball) that extends 36 inches behind said opponent's lane line (longer than the 8 inches painted on court).

1-5-2: The lane-space marks (2 inches by 8 inches) identify areas which extend 36 inches from the outer edge of the lane lines toward the sidelines.

Based on what I remember from my state interpreter's discussion of the 2009-10 clarification, I believe that a player must position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space until the ball has been released limits how far back a player can go, with within the designated 36-inch lane space referring to the width of the lane space, not it's limiting depth for a player only moving backward (not sideways).

Thus, a 7 foot 4 inch player (example given eleven years ago) could legally have one foot "near" the lane line the other foot more than 36 inches back. It was the 2009-10 clarification (one foot near the lane line) that kept him from going all the way back to the sideline within his three foot wide lane space, before this there was no depth limit, just a depth "protective" area (similar to a jump ball) for an opponent. If there was a 36 inch depth limit, why have the "one foot near the lane line" verbiage, just keep him inside his four sided infinitely tall box (imagine a mime)?

But I wouldn't bet my house on my interpretation based on what I can remember from eleven years ago (one foot near lane line limits depth), and I can be easily convinced otherwise.

Now, where are my car keys?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 06, 2021 at 02:10pm.