View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2021, 10:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While i agree with you in general, wasn't it the offense that lost control of the ball all by themselves without a deflection by the defense? And, would that then mean the exception no longer applies? I know the defense eventually touched it, but they really didn't deflect it away to start with and I thought that is what had to precipitate the situation in order for the exception to apply.
Here is the wording for the exception:

"9-12 Art. 5. A pass or any other loose ball (including when a player in control of the ball loses control of the ball when a defensive player bats or deflects it out of his control) in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt."

I believe the powers that be want us to be very liberal in regards to what a deflection by the defense causes. That is evidenced by the fact that they extended the rule after the season started to include in the exception when the offense is in the back court and a defensive player deflects the ball into the front court that touches an offensive player then is recovered by the offense in the back court.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 27, 2021 at 11:05pm.