Thread: pregame dunk
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 04:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While I have been known to reply to my own posts after further reflection, this is not the case here. All of my posts in this thread, even a single back-to-back, have been replies to other members posts.

Bottom line. I'm not a big fan of the pregame dunking whistle, nor is the NFHS, but I see some value (as does Altor) in it because it may prevent a subsequent "violation". While I agree with LRZ that warning (before or after charging a technical foul) players in a layup line in a conversational tone is a good preventative measure (for many issues, not just pregame dunking), it only works for those within earshot (in a gym with blasting music). A whistle (again, I'm not a fan) sounded will be a preventative measure for everybody in the gym, not only those that are within conversational tone earshot ("Hey. Look down there. He got T-ed up for dunking. We should be more careful".)

I'm not looking to T-up players for pregame dunking, I will try to prevent pregame dunking from happening, but if I have to T-up players, I will.

Maybe Texans have the right idea?
I've gone almost 20 years without sounding my whistle nor seeing anyone else sound their whistle. The 3-4 times I've been involved in games where players were T'd for dunking (including one D1 game before the rule change), the players were well aware officials were standing right there on the sidelines.

Now we need to announce ourselves with whistles all of a sudden?