Thread: pregame dunk
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 02:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Dunking Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I should have known better than to interject into one of your conversations with yourself.
While I have been known to reply to my own posts after further reflection, this is not the case here. All of my posts in this thread, even a single back-to-back, have been replies to other members posts.

Bottom line. I'm not a big fan of the pregame dunking whistle, nor is the NFHS, but I see some value (as does Altor) in it because it may prevent a subsequent "violation". While I agree with LRZ that warning (before or after charging a technical foul) players in a layup line in a conversational tone is a good preventative measure (for many issues, not just pregame dunking), it only works for those within earshot (in a gym with blasting music). A whistle (again, I'm not a fan) sounded will be a preventative measure for everybody in the gym, not only those that are within conversational tone earshot ("Hey. Look down there. He got T-ed up for dunking. We should be more careful".)

I'm not looking to T-up players for pregame dunking, I will try to prevent pregame dunking from happening, but if I have to T-up players, I will.

Maybe Texans have the right idea?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 03:28pm.