View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 03:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Where You Were ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... team control was not established until A2, while in the air, caught the ball.
Wouldn't that instantly give the ball frontcourt status?

You are where you were until you get where you're going.

I'm not going to die on this violation hill, but would appreciate some further investigation and discussion.

Since it's not one of the listed exceptions (if we, for sake of argument, disregard purpose and intent), can we concentrate on the "by rule" definition of backcourt.

The four elements for having a backcourt violation here are: there must be team control; the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt.

The key to a proper interpretation here lies with the frontcourt/backcourt status of the ball when it's caught (holding the ball means player control and thus team control).

Did the ball achieve frontcourt status while in Team A control?

4-35: The location of a player or non-player is determined by where the person is touching the floor as far as being: In the frontcourt or backcourt. The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors of Article 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

4-4: A ball which is in contact with a player is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player is touching the backcourt. A ball which is in contact with a player is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 23, 2021 at 04:07pm.