View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 01:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

[quote]Originally posted by Todd (Mike) Mullen on 12-22-1999 09:44 AM

I hope I do not sound defensive, I merely would like an opinion on my original questions, which I will restate:

1 - Would anyone be willing to expand the rule to other situations except those stated in the case book. If so, please give an example.

2 - Since I expect most to fall back on advantage/disadvantage, would you then call a technical if a defensive player went out of bounds to avoid fouling a screener?

Mark, I would appreciate your comments on these items.

Thanks!

Dear Mike-Todd

1) I really can't think of any other examples where a player gains an advantage by being OOB other than to avoid a screen, avoid a 3 second call and use a screen coming in from OOB after delaying coming in, except maybe a defensive player setting up with one foot OOB to gain better guarding position (which has been beaten to death, I think)

2)This is a really tough call. Let me answer it this way and hope you don't think it's a cop-out. If the incident occurred with the defender being "in the play" near the shooter, and he got around the pick by going OOB and affected the play, I think I'd call it. If it happened "away from the point of attack" (to borrow a phrase my football ref buddies use to determine if they call holding or not), I might let it go with just a warning to that player as we went down the other way. If I saw it again away from the play, I would mention it to the coach. From that point on, it's a T.

Varsity level, however, I have called it a T the first time. So sue me