Thread: 1 v 5??
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 02, 2021, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodar View Post
One thing that I wonder about: should there be an exception somewhere in the rules that states the first two marked lane spaces do not both need to be occupied if the team only has one player remaining? Based on literal rule verbiage, this should be a violation on the free throw without that exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, and it already exists. The NFHS issued an interpretation for this several years ago after I posted that question on this forum and someone forwarded it to the NFHS committee. You will find this in our past Interps archive.

2003-2004 NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

Now should a phrase be added to the current rules book acknowledging such exemptions for a team playing with only one player? Probably, since this is now a 17 year-old interp and only a few officials are going to be aware of it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Jan 02, 2021 at 04:32am.