View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by danpri
This will be more of a questoin for those who witnessed the game. There has been much discusion on accboards.com if his play was legal and if the foul called was incorrect.

Near the end of the game, Kenny Inge (who has a rep for thuggish behavior on the floor and four fouls) brought down a rebound. He held the ball face level with elbows fully outstrectched. The only player near was a (smaller) guy standing about 2 feet behind Inge, with the idea of a steal in his mind. Inge swings his elbows, still at face height, (ostensibly to clear out although some say he was setting up to pass) and glances the elbow off the other players face: who collapses.

Ref calls an intentional foul. After the game it was reported by the collapsed players team that Inge had been threatening to "get someone in the face" during the game- which I imagine would have been conveyed to the refs.

I wonder how intent could be judged without Flagrance in your case, using the elbow.
Doesn't make sence to me.
There must've been a directive to officials on that call, or the official kicked it.