View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

In Massachusetts most basketball officials associations are IAABO, although there are a few not affiliated with IAABO (some "womens/girls" only boards). My board in southeast, MA does an excellent job of teaching new candidates and preparing them to pass the NFHS rules test. There are about 10 evening classes in October-November with the exam around Thanksgiving time. If you pass, you can start doing HS games that season. If you "almost pass" you can still be a provisional member and retake the exam in March for final certification (after passing). The machanics training is mininmal, and you are basically "on your own" for further training. That's why I attend clinics/camps. Older members can attend the new candidate classes any year, but few ever show up again.

The boards (at least mine) do not assign the officials. HS conferences hire a commissioner who assigns whoever he wants to, and draws from many boards. You are supposed to be a certified member of an association, however this could easily be overlooked. As far as getting games, I feel my board has little or no influence, and there is no rating, evaluation, or follow-up. It will be up to me to advance in the best way I can figure out. The board does have a few assignors for recreation/youth leagues, so there are usually plenty of games for refs who want to work. "Who you know" will often dictate quality of games and partners.

An official can have a "dual membership" in more that one IAABO board. All officials must attend a mandatory interpretation meeting in November and three following meetings (or pay fines, strictly enforced).