View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Identical Numbers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I will also point out that compliance with the NFHS rules can be maintained and the team member with the taped jersey can legally play simply by charging a technical foul to the head coach for allowing a player to participate with an illegal jersey.
I was under the impression that while this is the case for an illegal number, i.e. #6 (Bill Russell, my favorite player), it is not the case for identical numbers, which by rule can never be allowed in a game (or a scorebook).

Wait, I now see what Nevadaref is saying, the non-centered taped number, not the identical number, makes the jersey illegal, but is allowed with a direct technical foul and a nice comfortable chair to sit in for the head coach.

Nice citation Nevadaref.

Also, as long as the tape stays on, they're both playing in my high school game without penalty (intent and purpose).

3.2.2 SITUATION B: Three minutes before the game starts, it is discovered: (a) two Team B members have wrong numbers in the scorebook; or (b) two Team B team members are wearing the same number. RULING: In (a), if either or both team member’s number is changed in the scorebook, one technical foul is charged to Team B. If there is no request for change or if neither becomes a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty. In (b), a technical foul is charged to Team B upon discovery of the identical numbers. Only one team member may wear a given number; the other must change to a number not already in use before participating. (10-1-2)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 25, 2020 at 02:49pm.