View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2020, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Could it be -- just a guess here -- that the NCAA is cultivating a pro wrestling audience? That the conduct that on its face is unsportsmanlike is actually all part of the show, and appreciated by the audience? And the powers that be understand this?

If this hypothesis is correct, then it would be limited to big time football, and you wouldn't see it at JV games, lightweight games, or the DIII games where the audience gets in for free and is usually outnumbered by the players. Anyone know if this sort of coach conduct is widespread at the lower levels too, or just a phenomenon of the showcase contests?
I work D3 football. I can tell you the things that are allowed by fellow officials and the attitudes of those in training or evaluation positions. I has a college baseball umpire and work college baseball now. Each sport had a very different attitude about what coaches could do. That would get you ejected in both baseball and basketball. At least some kind of penalty and the rules makers back up that position. In football, they can damn near call you out your name or accuse of you cheating and they seem to act like we must "manage" that position. It is to the point that even our reaction as an official can be different because we are not encouraged to take action. Not so much at the high school level, but even there you have officials that think we should not react a certain way. I have never liked it to the point where this kind of action is acceptable. I get if they are yelling or mad on some level and they are talking to you, but I can do somewhat the same.

Peace