Thread: Rule 3-7 Safety
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2020, 09:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
At least the NFHS recognizes some differences in cultures:

3-5-4-B: For religious reasons – In the event there is documented evidence provided to the state association that a participant may not expose his/her uncovered head, the state association may approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it will come off during play.

3-5-7: Jewelry is prohibited. Religious and medical-alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.
If I recall, the religious issue came up after there were people trying to prevent players from wearing certain items that did not fit previous wording in the rules. Like the usage of female players covering their legs and arms because of their Faith that technically might have violated rules for undershirts not fitting a certain color or wearing. I know this happened in Illinois where a player was not allowed to play and then the state had to step in and say we are not disallowing this Muslim player to participate because she did not have the right color undershirt. I believe the rules were later changed to reflect the current language soon after. And the NF gave very specific examples to illustrate their position. My point is there might need to be a position on what is considered acceptable or explore what might cause an issue? It concerns me that we are picking and choosing what is safe because we have people that do not understand things from people they do not know about.

Peace