View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungRighty
Newbie question:
What are the preferred PU mechanics associated with dropped 3rd strikes (in situations when the batter is able to run)? ...[snip]... Would it be better to instead make some kind of a signal or a verbalization that the batter is not out if the ball is dropped?
As a self-confessed "Newbie" official, stick with calling 3rd strikes the same way, with a simple door-knock with the right fist clenched high, and forget about verbalizing any "Out" call unless you are responding to a confirmed swing on a check attempt. Only verbalize your 3rd strike call if the batter failed to offer.

Quote:
What about when first is occupied? Should I do anything out of the ordinary on the drop, or just do exactly what I would do on a catch? In other words, should I be doing anything special to indicate to the defense that they don't have to make a throw, or should I make sure I DON'T do anything differently and make sure the burden is completely on them to recognize that the batter is already out and make the right decision (not to throw)?
The burden is completely on the defense to recognize that the batter is already out, at least in leagues where the kids shave.

Quote:
I've seen different approaches, and being new, I'd like to develop a good habit early.
See answer 1 above.

Hope this helps

Cheers