View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
not true unless the rule has changed. you guys are more current than I on that, but the restriction on a secondary defender in the circle doesn't restrict a defender that is in the circle from going straight up and attempting to block the shot, which was the case here. the driver clearly created all contact on someone waiting at the goal for him.

the rulebook doesn't make clear whether that can be a charge? or just a non-call. In other words, the rule book, at least from 2019, and my guess is it hasn't changed, this is NCAA and that is what I have as fave on my computer, simply says being in the circle doesn't prevent a vertical shot blocker from attempting to block. So it seems clear in that case it isn't a 'block', but is it anything?

Time was 1:39 2nd half, and was a huge play in the game KU won by 1. And this isn't whining, I'm a KU fan, just thought I'd run it by you all.

Also somewhat related, would you all agree that just because there is a big collision between driver and defender, you don't necessarily need a whistle? The rules say a defender has the right to a position on the floor if squared up facing driver and both feet down initially. Let's say a defender is there several steps, but dribbler is able to get upper torso past the defender and they both go down. Pretty clear to me it isn't a block, in that the defender isn't obligated to move. In that case I don't think it's a charge either as the dribbler got upper torso past defender. There back in the day I'd have nothing. Thoughts?
Well, it is true, but the restricted area only applies to grounded defenders. So I am not sure why you are even bringing up the RA. I just watched the replay and RA has absolutely nothing to do with this play or why the L called the foul. The L got fooled by the defender swiping with his arm but he didn't make any contact with the airborne shooter. This was an incorrect call, in my judgment, but the RA had nothing to do with it.