View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped Third

Save yourself a lot of heart ache and misery. On a third strike, whether called or not, do not verbalize or signal "Out". It is not necessary. The players should be aware of the count. If a batter has struck out, and after an extended period of time remains in the box, not realizing he has struck out, simply say, "That's strike three."

Behind the plate, it is sometimes very difficult to pick up a dropped third strike. This is due to the fact that there is a body between you and the ball, below the strike zone. When there are more umpires, they can usually help you out with a signal to let you know whether it was caught or not.

But, no matter what the situation, whether you've seen it caught or not, the signal and verbalization is "Strike Three!." When I am positive the ball was dropped, I take off my mask and get an angle on a possible tag by the catcher, ready for the play as it develops. If the batter abondons efforts to first, even if the ball was dropped, he is still out.

One complication is that many younger players are told to run anytime there is a third strike. Use your best judgement. If you feel that the catcher caught the ball, and you see the runner going up the line, you may then signal and verbalize, "The batter is out!"

Most of the time, the players will help you out, and react to the play, as opposed to trying to force a play.

On a similar note, on ball four, there is no signal, and the only verbalization is "Ball four." Do not point to first, or say "Take your base." Avoid using extra words whenever possible. ESPECIALLY avoid the signal on Ball 4, because it can often times be confused with a signal for a Strike.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray