View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lead's Sideline Responsibility ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
During fast break transition, the ball goes out-of-bounds in the front court, on the new Lead’s sideline above the free throw line extended. When this occurs, the new Lead will become the Trail and administer the sideline throw-in, and the new Trail will become the Lead.
Yes. Page 67, Graphic Narrative- New for 2020-21
Manual: Throw-In/Transition Fast Break To Frontcourt Sideline: During fast break situation, ball out-of-bounds on new Lead’s sideline, in the front court, above free throw line extended. The Lead administers the throw-in as new Trail, Trail becomes new Lead.

IAABO (and I believe NFHS) used to do this back when the lead had the entire sideline (didn't stop at the free throw line extended, actually extended all the way into the backcourt) as his boundary responsibility, not only in fast break situations but even in a half court set.

I remember doing this when the old trail called a backcourt violation on his sideline and I, as the new lead, would sprint (back prearthritis, pretorn meniscus, prebone spurs, when I could actually sprint) the length of the court.

I thought that IAABO did away with this “long switch” for good reason.

Seems it would be easier for the old lead to cross the basket line into the frontcourt to administer the sideline throwin and for the old trail to cross the basket line to become the new lead, thus fulfilling the creed of “only switch on a foul”.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 01, 2020 at 01:47pm.