View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 10, 2020, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Goaltend A Free Throw ...

Things have been very, very quiet on the Forum so I decided to post something that I found to be of interest.

During last week's IAABO International Virtual Fall Seminar, one of the presentations was regarding situations above the rim and the speaker mentioned that he had never observed a player goaltend a free throw.

So I found this video (it's college but my post is about NFHS rules):

We all know to award the free throw (assuming by the defense) and charge a technical foul to the offending player in a high school game.

4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try
or tap while the ball is in its downward flight entirely above the basket
ring level, has the possibility of entering the basket in flight and is not
touching the basket cylinder or a player touches the ball outside the
cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

10-4-9: Player Technical: A player shall not: Commit goaltending during a free throw.

9.12 SITUATION B: On the second of two free-throw attempts by A1, the ball is touched outside the cylinder by A2. RULING: No points can be scored. A2’s actions are ruled a violation. B will be given the ball for a throw-in from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the violation. (9-1 Penalty 1)

In 9.12 SITUATION B would A2 also be charged with a technical foul in a high school game? And shouldn't Team B be given the ball for a throwin at the division line opposite the table in a high school game?

Sounds to me like this should be is a technical foul on A2 for offensive goaltending during a free throw.

Is this yet another poor editing job by the NFHS?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 10, 2020 at 12:33pm.