View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 08, 2020, 01:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I don't get that. If it's a force play, why wouldn't I rather stay on my feet so I can easily round the base if the throw goes into the outfield? The difference in time in getting my foot on the bag between running and sliding is so minuscule, the only advantage to sliding is avoiding overrunning the base (and that's not assured either), but that sacrifices time in getting to the next base if the opportunity presents.

Seems to me somebody has to be screwed by the physics of the situation. Either the runner has to sacrifice the advantage of running vs. sliding, or the fielder has a body in or near the line of the likely throw. If Fed wants the screwing to fall on the runners that's fine, but it should be recognized that it is a screwing nevertheless.
I've played and watched both baseball and softball for a lot of years, and it is very rare that a runner doesn't slide into second base on the front end of the DP. It's also very rare that a runner goes into second base standing up on a straight steal; they don't approach second with the mind-set that if they go in standing up and the catcher's throw gets past the infielder at second base, they're much more able to round the base and keep going to third.

The next time I hear a coach yell at his/her runner, "Next time go in standing up so that you can make it to third quicker should the ball get through!" will be the first time.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker