View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 08, 2020, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The play that keeps being brought up every year (there's even a video of it from a HS game in NJ) is the one like the OP where R1 is retired at second base on the front end of the DP, and then when F4 turns to throw to first base, R1 is still upright very close to second base and gets hit with the throw. Many umpires argue that R1 did nothing wrong, that she just can't disappear after being retired, or some other argument to claim there was no interference.

But to me, the "very common" move that R1 should execute in this play is sliding into second base. Going in standing up on such as close force play at second is not good fundamental softball. It shows no intent to get to the bag safely.
I don't get that. If it's a force play, why wouldn't I rather stay on my feet so I can easily round the base if the throw goes into the outfield? The difference in time in getting my foot on the bag between running and sliding is so minuscule, the only advantage to sliding is avoiding overrunning the base (and that's not assured either), but that sacrifices time in getting to the next base if the opportunity presents.

Seems to me somebody has to be screwed by the physics of the situation. Either the runner has to sacrifice the advantage of running vs. sliding, or the fielder has a body in or near the line of the likely throw. If Fed wants the screwing to fall on the runners that's fine, but it should be recognized that it is a screwing nevertheless.