Thread: Corona Waivers?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 17, 2020, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
To answer the question, some would concede the benefit in order to work at the school. Not to be snide or argue, but officials concede things all the time in order to work at schools, many of which are considered inherent risks.
That may be, but there are risks and then there are BIG RISKS, like the risk of serious, life-threatening illness or death. And, at my level, we're not talking about sacrificing college-level fees by refusing to sign a waiver and not working a game. I'm retired, I don't need the money to live on, and, at my age, the amount I earn is hardly enough to risk my health.

I'm more leery about basketball than soccer, my other officiating sport. We have not heard anything about waivers in soccer, which begins next week. If the league and its schools don't require waivers for soccer--and we still don't know for sure--who knows if they will do likewise for basketball, being played indoors, in a smaller space, and with closer proximity to players. There is still a lot of confusion and uncertainty, and we have not received definitive protocols from the state or league.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Sep 17, 2020 at 06:53pm.