Thread: Covid Protocol
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Some of you may remember that the OP, tcannizzo, works for me locally at rec, travel, high school and tournaments. He asked me (as his supervisor/boss at that moment) the same question at the same time, and told me he intended to also post here to see if others felt differently than my answer.

So here's what I told him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
My answer, paraphrasing the GHSA position.

We aren't medical professionals, we do not remove players from games unless they have been unconscious. No matter what symptoms we observe that WE think may be COVID-related, we make sure the person that IS responsible and liable (the head coach representing the school "in loco parentis") is aware of our concerns. If completely clear and necessary, make the official scorekeeper note it in the book that you registered your concern, and file a game report for me to pass to GHSA, if ignored.

In this case, with the parent also in the loop, stay out of it. Don't ask the coach anything that might add to your personal risk; your question pretty much violated that child's rights under HIPAA. Tell him on the record you are concerned, and then keep YOUR social distance from that player.

The coach could have easily misstated, the parent may have actually said any other COPD ailment, or even a severe allergy; he said asthma, the child denies that but doesn't repeat what she does have. Under HIPAA, no matter what you overheard, none of your (or our) business.

The only part different when it isn't GHSA is they have no "in loco parentis" legal status. But, based on standard language in USA and USSSA softball legal releases, the coaches accept a responsibility to act in the child's best interest. Make it known you are concerned, then let it be on them.