View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 27, 2020, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only work for one assigner, who works very closely with the executive committee of my local board. I hope that we get some preseason advice regarding officials in crews who want to stand, kneel, or stay in the locker room, and to remind us that's it's none of our business (as game officials) if teams (or individual players) stand, kneel, or stay in the locker room (there have been a few problems in a few states where officials indicated that they would walk out if the flag was disrespected).
I remember when Kaepernick kneeled and the country got caught up in that so much there were others doing the same things. And I remember discussing it in a few meetings "What are we going to do...." as if the sky was going to fall. Well, basically not much happened. I remember some people trying to penalize players for kneeling during the Anthem and the state saying to players, "Not our responsibility" for the most part and let the schools handle their school's protests. It went away. Honestly, I think we will have so many other issues at play this fall or winter that this will be the main issue. Yes there might be an officiating crew or two across the country that will do something. Maybe more, but I think a lot of officials will think that is not their role and either way I am OK with it. I think we are kind of overblow this being a challenge. Or at least for me, I do not need to discuss anything with my partners. If I do anything it will be personal, I am not looking for everyone's approval on a personal show of protest.

Peace