Thread: Covid Protocol
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 18, 2020, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Covid Protocol

Something happened in a high school game today that causes me to wonder about the umpire’s role in this pandemic. (yes GA plays in the fall)

When this thing first came out, I was discussing it with an acquaintance of mine who is a doctor.
At that time, hospitals were getting stressed because people who sneezed thought they had “The Rona”.
His comment was, don’t go to the hospital unless you are really struggling to breathe.
He mimicked what it would look like. Not a pretty picture.

R1 on 3B. 3B coach requests time urgently. Time granted.
Quickly he rushes to R1 to assist her.
She is struggling to breathe, I mean REALLY STRUGGLING almost violently.

This player looked like what that doctor showed me.
Substitution.

When the inning ended, I asked the coach if the player had a pre-existing condition.
He said, no.
Then a moment later, he said the mom said the kid has asthma, but that it is “rare”.
Almost immediately, I could swear I heard the kid deny that she was asthmatic.

I’m thinking WTF is going on here?

So, the question is: What is/are the umpire’s role/responsibilities if he/she suspects a participant to have the virus?

Clearly we are not medical professionals, but we have a number of protocols, i.e. concussion, with liability attached.
We disallow the player to continue until they have been cleared by a medical professional.
Of course, that is already in the written rules.

So, I know there is no guidance on this currently, but the question is, “Should there be”?

The conundrum is: how are umpires supposed to know when/if someone is sick?
And are we going to over-react to every little cough and sneeze?
Or should we just ignore signs and symptoms that might be actually something very serious? Including personal risk.

Somehow, I think we have a role here.

I think this is a problem that needs to be floated to the top dogs at all of the governing bodies of softball, and athletics in general.
But maybe this message board is a good place to start.

Thoughts comments and solutions are most welcomed.

Tony