View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 18, 2020, 10:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Be Bashful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) Situation: Official tosses the ball to begin the game. Jumpers A1 and B1 are unable to touch the tossed ball and the ball hits the floor. The ball became live with the toss, the game officially starts, but the clock didn't start. Team A coach requests that player A2 jump in the re-tossed jump ball. A1 is not injured nor is A1 bleeding.

2) Similar situation, but before the re-tossed jump ball, Team A coach wants to substitute A6 for jumper A1. A6 is waiting on the X in front of the table and is ready to be the new jumper. A1 is not injured nor is A1 bleeding.

3) Another similar situation, but before the re-tossed jump ball, Team A coach wants to substitute non-jumper A6 for non-jumper A5. A6 is waiting on the X in front of the table. A5 is not injured nor is A5 bleeding.
Sixty views and no replies, why is everyone being so bashful?

Here's my take on these situations.

Regarding Situation 1 and Situation 2, since A1 was a "designated" jumper, I don't believe that he can be substituted for, or removed as the jumper, unless he's injured or bleeding.

Note: In these two situations, I'm a little unsteady about the meaning of "designated". During the first jump ball (that one that hit the floor untouched) A1 was "designated" by the coach, not by rule, so does that "coach designation" continue into the second jump ball, or is A1 now the jumper by "rule designation" (as where two nonjumpers simultaneously gain possession of the jump ball at the same time, leading to a held ball (and a jump ball) before the alternating possession arrow has been set)?

Regarding Situation 3, the ball became live on the toss, the game started, even though the clock didn't start. Since players don't have to play "a tick", A6 should be allowed to substitute for A5.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 18, 2020 at 10:17am.