View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 15, 2020, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NFHS R5-S1-A2c: It is a delayed dead ball when (see Table 5-1) the umpire interferes (F.P.) with a catcher who is attempting to throw a non-batted ball.

NCAA 9.6.1.3: Umpire interference occurs when the plate umpire or his/her clothing interferes with the catcher’s attempt to throw out a base runner on a pickoff or steal attempt.

NFHS: This is Umpire Interference because F2 is "attempting to throw a non-batted ball.".

NCAA: In the Play being discussed R3 is attempting to advance with liability to be put out and F2 is attempting to throw out R3 is the same as attempting "to throw out a base runner on a pickoff". Therefore this is Umpire Interference.

MTD, Sr.
In my opinion, if this is NFHS, it is umpire interference. The ball is dead when the attempt to throw out the runner at second is unsuccessful. This would be because it is a "non-batted ball." I also agree with the other posts that the correct ruling is that the Batter-Runner is awarded first base, and as such, the runner who was attempting to advance to second is awarded second because she is forced to advance. Is it fair to the defense? No, but the wording of the rule does not allow for the offense to be penalized for an action of the umpire either. Calling the Batter-Runner out would penalize the offense for an act of the umpire, so it would be just as bad as awarding the runner who should be sent to first, 2nd base. Simply put, Don't Do It (interfere with the throw).

USA uses the same wording as NCAA. Under NCAA, my opinion is this is a live ball based on the definitions of the plays in question. Since the NCAA never defines steal, we need to look deeper into the rules.

We know the definition of umpire interference. The question is regarding the ruling of steal. The act itself is not defined, but under 12.3.1 "When a pitch leaves the pitcher’s hand (whether pitched or dropped)" does define what we would call a steal.

This means under NCAA rules there could be two possibilities for the situation. First, if the runner was actually stealing on the play, the ruling is umpire interference, and as such it is a DDB until the out is not made from the initial throw, at which point it is a DB. The runner would be sent back to first, but since the BR is awarded first on the D3K rule, the runner must be awarded 2nd base.

Reading the rules for liability to be put out for a runner, I see nearly identical wording between USA Softball and NCAA.

In this case, I think the best thing (NCAA and USA Softball) to do would be let the play continue, then get together as a crew, and determine if the runner was stealing on the play, or did not begin advancing until the ball was dropped for the D3K. If it was determined that she was actually stealing, she goes to 2nd, and the BR gets first. If we rule she did not start her advance until the ball was a D3K, she goes to second and the BR is on first.

Again, just don't do it (interfere with the throw that is).