View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 15, 2020, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

1. The NFHS rule you quote clearly makes your scenario a delayed dead ball situation. I agree.

2. The NCAA wording you quote is identical to the USA rule I cited. They both say on a runner stealing a base or on a pick-off. USA does not define pick-off but NCAA does. "14.2.22 Pick-Off: An action initiated by the defense trying to retire a base runner at the base she occupied at the time of the pitch. The catcher is credited with a pick-off for a throw behind a base runner that catches that base runner off base and results in an out."

Moderator's Note (correcting typo): The NCAA Rule is 14.1.22 not 14.2.22.

3. Catcher was not throwing behind the runner so I can't see how you can equate her action as a pick-off.

4. I agree this is a challenging situation, and I probably am wrong in my assumption that it is a live ball. However, NCAA & USA say umpire interference occurs on a steal attempt or a pick-off and your scenario has neither. The wording you provided is not in the NCAA or USA book, so I'm still searching for a supported reason why this is a Delayed Dead Ball.

Last edited by josephrt1; Sat Aug 15, 2020 at 06:53pm. Reason: Moderator correcting typo by comments author.