View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 14, 2020, 11:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Taken from Facebook group…..Situation: USA Fast Pitch Softball, 2 outs, runner on first. Catcher short hops a swinging strike 3 call. Batter becomes batter/runner and is heading for first. Catcher attempts throw to 2nd base to retire what she thought was a runner stealing. Umpire interferes with her throw and ball sails into left field. Both runners are now at 1st and 2nd. What’s the mechanic and correct call?

My call would have been: Call umpire interference, dead ball and runner returns to 1st base. Batter is out. My logic: Because catcher was trying to put out a runner advancing the interference stands even though the runner was forced to the next base. The batter cannot run on dropped 3rd strike because I called interference and immediate dead ball. I put the runner back just as if it was a called 3rd strike w/out the dropped issue. Correct logic or would I have screwed this call up?

Researching book, nothing I’ve found “directly” addresses this issue. Examples given are runner attempting to steal and she intended to steal but wasn’t because she was forced as soon as dropped 3rd strike situation occurred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
My RULING is Mark, Jr., approved. We do not have access to his USA Softball Rules Book at the moment, so this my comment is per NFHS and NCAA Rules and I will use NFHS Rule reference for my comments.

This is Umpire Interference (R5-S1-A2c) and is a Delayed Dead Ball (DDB). The Ball becomes Dead as soon as F2's attempt to throw out R3 at 2B (NOTE: Since there were two outs, F4/F6 only has to tag 2B for the third out because this is by Rule a Force Out.) is unsuccessful.

The Awards or Penalties for Activity 6 in the Delayed Dead Ball Table 5-1 in Rule 5 for R5-S1-A2c is: If runner is not put out, runners return. See R8-S5-A6 PENALTY.

BUT!! B6's Strike Three was an Uncaught Third Strike. B6's At-Bat ended with the Uncaught Third Strike and B6, because there were two Outs, is, by Rule, not Out! It does not matter whether or not B6 had acquired 1B before the Ball became Dead, B6 cannot be declared Out. Therefore, R3 is returned to 1B but is then forced to advance to 2B because B6, by Rule, has to be placed on 1B.

Yes, this may seem unfair to the Defense but it was the PU's Interference with F2 that caused this situation, but remember, F2 is also partially to blame for not knowing the situation: Two outs and that B6 is not out on an Uncaught Third Strike. This is one of those situations where the PU is going to have to do a lot of apologizing to the Defensive HC.

We believe that the Ruling would be the same for both USA Softball and USSSA.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
I'll be the contrarian here. I think it is a live ball. [only speaking USA rules]

Umpire interference is with the catcher’s attempt to throw out a runner who is stealing, or an attempted pick off play.

In this example the runner is not stealing and the catcher is not trying a pick-off attempt. Instead we have a runner advancing on a dropped 3rd strike. I think that is a difference. Umpire's interference only applies on a steal or pick-off. Any other situation where the umpire gets in the way, its a live ball.

So I think, live ball. R1 and BR could even try for more than the one base. Umpire screwed up but its part of the game.

This scenario could be simplified. No runners on, no outs, DTS. Catcher picks up ball, attempts to throw to F3 and umpire bumps the throw and it goes into RF or goes into stands. What do you do with BR?

NFHS R5-S1-A2c: It is a delayed dead ball when (see Table 5-1) the umpire interferes (F.P.) with a catcher who is attempting to throw a non-batted ball.

NCAA 9.6.1.3: Umpire interference occurs when the plate umpire or his/her clothing interferes with the catcher’s attempt to throw out a base runner on a pickoff or steal attempt.

NFHS: This is Umpire Interference because F2 is "attempting to throw a non-batted ball.".

NCAA: In the Play being discussed R3 is attempting to advance with liability to be put out and F2 is attempting to throw out R3 is the same as attempting "to throw out a base runner on a pickoff". Therefore this is Umpire Interference.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio