View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan is allowed to practice, but competition is still not allowed in several sports, volleyball included. The MHSAA is allowing practices but will make a decision on competitions on the 20th, a day before the first allowed day of competition in volleyball and many other sports. Limits have been put in place on the number of teams (4) per venue, so a lot of tourneys are being cancelled, while others are dropping to quads. I've already lost 1 all day tourney, and suspect many more will follow. What's interesting is practices officially start tomorrow, but under the governors order, indoor practices are not allowed. Some sports can be practiced outdoors, but this will really mess with others. Volleyball and swimming and diving are going to suffer. There is a big difference in volleyball from outdoor to indoor play. Some swim teams (high school and college) which don't have access to an outdoor pool have gone so far as to practice in Saginaw Bay, the Great Lakes or local lakes. A lot of outdoor pools never opened for the season. Places like Ann Arbor never opened their pools, so those, which are normally used by club teams in the summer are not open. It's going to be a mess of a fall, and as an official and an assigner, I'm scared about how long I can go with very limited income.