View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 04, 2020, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
USA As it was told to me: No outs, no base runners. Two balls, two strikes on batter. Batter checks her swing, ball goes past catcher to the back stop, batter runs to first base. No call by the PU, who does not ask FU for assistance on the swing. Defensive coach asks if the batter swung for a third strike. This does not appear to be a play that can be appealed, according to my understanding of appeal plays. However, I am seeking opinions.
It is not what comes under the heading of an official appeal. But many times the word "appeal" is used when the defense wants the PU to check with a partner (as long as the partner is in a position to help).

PU should have verbalized a ball or signaled a strike if s/he believed the batter actually swung.

Simply asking the partner for help on the checked swing (which some folks use the "appeal" word) could have helped.

But if it was a ball, obviously bring the batter back to complete the time at bat with a 3-2 count. Batter ran thinking it might have been a swing.