Old Sat Aug 01, 2020, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Camping In The Lane ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I will warn, "Out of the lane" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Post player loses concentration and gets "lost" on the block, with just the back of the heel of his sneaker barely on the lane line, not gaining any advantage, sometimes it's better to warn instead of calling the violation ("Gotcha"), or waiting for the opposing coach to notice and ask for the violation.
This isn't the same as a big, tall player actively moving across the lane, maybe side to side, or up the lane and down the lane, often with both feet in the lane, trying to get open to receive a pass and take advantage of a shorter defender. No warning. Count three in my head, pause to give him a last chance (on his own) to get out, make sure that there's not going to be a shot attempt, just enough of a pause to fill my lungs with some air, still no warning, and then I sound my whistle. It's an obvious advantage not allowed by rule.

I hate it when I've already decided I'm going make the call and in the split second between my decision and my whistle, a coach, or worse, some fans, yell "Three seconds". How do I let them know that I'm not their bitch?

I also hate it when a shot goes up a the split second (as I divert my attention from a possible shooter to the post player in the lane, making sure that he's still there) before I sound my whistle (especially when the shot goes in). I know that it's not the whistle that makes the ball dead, it's the violation, but it's still not a good look.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 01, 2020 at 05:22pm.