View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 22, 2020, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Not What You Would Call A One-Person Expert ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Mr. BillyMac ... One question I have is: where are you positioned on the FT? and where are you positioned on the sideline throw-in?
First of all, my father was Mr. BillyMac, I'm just BillyMac.

Secondly, you asked two questions.

Keep in mind that I've probably worked one-person games (that counted) less than a half-dozen times in forty years, so I'm not what you would call a one-person expert.

I decided to write this article after working a one-person freshman game a few years ago, jotting down some notes when I got home after the game (knowing that it wasn't going to be a very "sexy" article, and not being very passionate about the topic, it took me a long time to finally sit down and write it).

I also didn't have to invent the wheel, I had some groundwork laid down by the Connecticut State Board of Approved Basketball Officials, the Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials, and the Topeka Officials Association.

I would handle all free throws from the trail position (one never wants to get caught on the endline). After putting the ball at the disposal of the free throw shooter, I would back off to my normal trail position. It's probably the best view, noting that it will be difficult to see anything other than the backs and butts of the two lane rebounders closest to the endline on your side (opposite table side).

On all throwins (including sideline throwins), I will try to get close to where I want to be after the throwin (free throw line extended to free throw line extended on the side of the court opposite the table) and then long bounce the ball to the inbounder (even if the ball is inbounded from the endline because one never wants to get caught on the endline).

One big decision that I had to make working these one-person games was regarding general floor coverage, to stay on either the table sideline, or the sideline opposite the table.

Some one-person guidelines suggest the table side because one gets the same view as the coaches, possibly leading to fewer "debates" regarding fouls.

I much prefer the opposite table side. This way I always can observe the table, substitutes, coaches, and bench personnel. Also, I can get help on out of bounds calls (and three point shots) on the table sideline from the table, or from the coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 22, 2020 at 07:06pm.